Showreel

Showreels

 
Looking at pre-existing showreels I can see that they are relatively short only lasting between 1-3 minutes maximum. This is to give people a brief overview of what you can offer as a business and also show people what you enjoy doing with your time by showing them projects you have worked on. Showreels are a great promotion tool for smaller businesses as they help show potential clients what work they can expect from you.


 This is an example of a showreel for a company called Cut media. As you can see from their showreel and by their editing style they prefer fast-flowing edits and like to pace the video to suit the action that's being shown. This is very effective when paired with the correct music as they have shown, this allows the video to look and sound natural and also keep the viewer entertained due to the natural feel of the video. They use a variety of clips to really help sell themselves and show how much of a wide range of content that they have experience with therefore appealing to a wider audience and picking up more clients.

Since researching showreels I have gone on to produce my own showreel using photos and video clips that showcase some of my work.


This is the showreel I have created, it consists of a variety of my work including photos and video this is to show as much as I can to people who decide to view it. I have included a variety of topics everything from wildlife to local events this is to show what experience I have learned and been involved in to help show people as much of my work as possible. 

I purposely paced the video in the way that I did because I felt the video wouldn't be as effective if it was any faster as the viewer would possibly feel that it was rushed but this way I can show them a good proportion of my work at a reasonable speed to help them to understand what I do better. This is the main reason I chose the song I did as it fit the pacing of the video well. The song also helps hide the cuts between videos with the cuts being on the beat to help the transition feel more natural. I ordered the clips in the way that I did to give the video some organization between clips, starting with wildlife clips I then progress through different topics before ending with the Halloween parade, this helps show a wide range of topics and key areas that I have worked in. I didn't really use any motion transitions other than a "clock wipe" to showcase colour grading skills, this fit really well as it is almost seamless unless you see the wipe taking place so it is quite well disguised other than that I relayed on the music to carry the video forward through a bunch of cuts that are timed with the beats in the video. 


As you can see this is how effective the clock wipe transition is, it shows clear contrast in what I am trying to show the audience, therefore making it clearer to the audience with the contrasting colours. 

To edit my showreel I decided to use Blackmagic's Davinci resolve 17 this was because after using a premiere pro for a while it was nice to use other industry-standard editing software to show how versatile I can be in different situations this, therefore, increasing my knowledge for the industry by learning multiple softwares that are commonly used within it. Other than that transition you can see on the timeline, I didn't use any other transitions as I just allowed the music to mask the cuts to make the flow a lot better. To achieve this I only really used the cut tool which can be found on the shortcut key B, therefore, speeding up production times. I also included my brand's logo at the end of the video so people know whose showreel it is and can therefore be exposed to the brand and do their own research if they wish. 
Cut tool


I have gathered feedback through the use of google forms to help me improve my showreel.




This is the feedback that I have received from people I have sent my form out to. I can clearly see that people say to make the music louder or change it all together. I can see that they like the layout or order of the clips which is one of the things that I liked about it. 




This is the updated video in which I have made the soundtrack louder so it doesn't seem like it fades away during the quieter section of the song. This makes it more effective by keeping the song going and being able to be heard no matter where you are in the video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Website Design

Evaluation

Ryhope CW - networking